Monday, October 27, 2008

The mushrooming mushroom

I finally got the chance to collect mushrooms in the forest, something that I have been eager to do for a while.

I'm a huge fans of mushroom so I was able to drag myself outside for a walk even though the weather was not so corporating. Among the group, everyone was a newbie except one person so he was demanded at all times. Some people started losing patience as for the first few minutes we found nothing but some uneatable mushrooms like these:


This one looks so poisonous to me with the gooey surface, I didn't even dare to touch it.

Deeper into the forest, we finally found one eatable species, and they were mushrooming everywhere. Once we discovered one, we just look under the grass and woods and they were abundant. We got nearly two kilos, not bad for the first time experience.

We made a delicious omelet out of them. So far nobody got sick so we can really say we passed the first level of "mushroom picking" class.


Unfortunately, it is closed to the end of the season so my second experience would have to be next year.

4 comments:

  1. how do u actually differentiate which one is edible and which is poisonous? we have plenty of forest here but I rarely touch any mushrooms there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. do you like fried mushroom? you can do it.. yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ladybird,

    It comes by experience. My friend has done this with his father every autumn since he was a kid. Else, you could go to a local pharmacy and they will check for you.

    keeyit,

    Yes I love fried mushroom but I'm too lazy to do it myself. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not over yet. Over my end, my PIL found 3 kg of it. We made mushroom pie with it and it was super delicious. :) I'm sure they will return to pick more in the forest once the rain is gone.

    ReplyDelete